The Observer

Titanfall Review

A squad of soldiers sprints down the streets with the sound of anti-aircraft guns booming down the alley ways. A loud bang radiates over the landscape as an object from orbit comes hurtling from the sky into the city. It looks like a giant robot, but it isn’t just a robot, it is your Titan. You sprint down the street with a smart pistol in your hand, it auto-locks onto multiple enemy soldiers heads and with a slight pull of the trigger an entire squad silently falls to the floor dead as you continue your sprint. You don’t run on the street, you run on walls. Bounding back and forth from wall to wall until your titan grabs you and throws you into its cockpit.

Now you are an ultimate killing machine.

Titanfall released a few weeks ago for the Xbox One but just came out last week for the Xbox 360 and PC. Titanfall is a first-person shooter that is entirely online. The campaign is even online. It is the flagship for the Xbox Ones ‘next generation shooter’ but is still available to 360 owners. It looks great on the 360 putting the most recent Call of Duty and Battlefield 4 to shame.

The online play is a very new experience. The maps are massive but it more than just that. Each map is not just player versus player. The map is filled with constant spawning A.I. soldiers that provide the player a very real battlefield feel. The player is a pilot and the equivalent to a super soldier. Pilots have jet packs and can run on walls and jump vast distances. Each game may start off as just as any other first person shooter but drastically changes when titans start falling from the sky. Titans are not kill-streak rewards. Every person will receive their own titan in just three minutes but the time does shorten for every enemy you kill, be it an A.I. or another player. When in a titan, you are a massive killing machine. But you do have to worry about other titans. The environment is rich and complex as a pilot but equally so when a titan. Houses that you can run through, snipe out of, hide in, or shoot from the roof as a pilot, become the only thing in between you and an enemy titans hellfire missiles.

Players can customize their characters with different weapons and abilities and they can also unlock three different titans and all sorts of weaponry and gadgets to fit them with. From seeking missiles to a warp shield that will catch an enemies fired rounds and propel them back towards the enemy titan, each titan offers unique abilities for different play styles.

The campaign is a combination of different online game types with some sort of story woven into it. The story line is not that great, the gameplay is. The multiplayer is filled with the classic first person game types but there are a variety of maps that the player can explore. The games are relatively intense but there is a positively strong multiplayer community for players to explore.

The graphics in the game are wonderful, from massive explosions, to unique maps, some with gorgeous landscapes and others with epic ship battles taking place overhead in space. The battlefield feels real when a titan warps in from orbit and breaks the sound barrier. Weapon fire is constant and keeps the player on edge. You are a pilot, but you are not invincible.

The gameplay is fun and does not feel repetitive. Titanfall is a must for first person shooter players that are seeking a new way form of online play. This is not Battlefield, or Call of Duty, or Halo.

This is Titanfall.

Titanfall is available on the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and the PC.

• Titanfall Review

Campus Life

E-Cigarettes: The Public Health Battle of Generation Y

• Campus Life

Mr. AC 2016

• Titanfall Review

Campus Life

Garbā 2016

• Titanfall Review

Campus Life

Homecoming Carnival Takes a Dive Under the Sea

• Titanfall Review

Campus Life

The Roo Games: A Fun Time for Organizations to Prove Who’s The Best

• Titanfall Review

Campus Life

Stitch ‘Em Up!!!- Pre-Health Society Suture Clinic

• Titanfall Review

Arts & Entertainment

Avengers: Age of Ultron Review (SPOILER FREE)

• Titanfall Review

Campus Life

Sherman Hall 100th Anniversary

• Leisure

Where to Study? Your Guide to Everyone’s Go to Coffee Shops

• Campus Life

End of the Semester!

Titanfall Review