The Observer

Seminar is in Session

Anika Nichols-Payne, Entertainment Editor

“Writers are not people”- there has never been a truer statement when watching Theresa Rebek’s play Seminar, directed by Senior Sarah Davis. If writers aren’t people, then what are they? Based on this play, I’d have to say they are complex, albeit crazy, driven people who live life in a completely different lane than the rest of us. And it’s not always pretty. With such challenging characters, I had to wonder why anyone would choose to direct this show.

“Well, I read this show in Florida, on spring break in front of a bonfire with a martini in my hand” chuckles Davis, “so I somewhat account the ideal reading conditions to what drew me to this show, but I also love how complex these characters are, how no one is inherently good or inherently bad in this show. They all have multiple layers, or as the cast calls them, parfaits.”

And complex these characters are. This five person cast brings on new and old faces to explore four very different people brought together in a ten week writing seminar taught by a crotchety but brilliant washed up writer.

Freshmen Emma Grundy and Jacob Dowell make their AC theatre debut as the sexy Izzy and suave Douglas, both trying to navigate the world of writing through their personality and connections first, and then their writing second. Grundy is witty and svelte as she manipulates the men around her to meet her agenda, and Dowell absolutely shines as a “whore: of a writer, someone who isn’t as good as his connections make him out to be.”

Junior Lindsey Womack approaches the somewhat whiny, spoiled rich girl Kate with a vivaciousness and passion that propels her through a surprising, almost 360 of a character development. Her feminist yet non-feminist attitude reflects how many of us feel today when it comes to women in the workplace, but her solution to the problem may not be what you expect. Womack is delightful as ever, commanding the stage and hitting every joke with ease.

Senior Edgar Rodriguez revels in the role of angry at the world Martin. A writer down on his luck, Rodriguez pulls martin off almost like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. He brings a sweet, boy like charm to the character that completely distracts from the fact that Martin is one of the biggest jerks in the show. Unfortunately, there are times when he gets so worked up that he becomes hard to understand, but all in all, we feel Martin’s anger simmering, and root for him even as he makes terrible choices.

And finally, Senior Spencer Nystrom makes his long awaited stage debut (he’s become known the past four years as one of the Improv troupe, but has yet to take the stage) and he does it with a bang. Fifty year old Leonard isn’t an easy nut to crack. He’s pretty terrible, in every sense of the word, but Nystrom justifies each action in such a way that we accept Leonard for the dick that he is. By the end, Nystrom reaches a level of vulnerability that you can’t look away from.

In addition to great actors and direction, the set is also amazing. Shout out to all of the tech involved with making this show look as great as it does. The props, the costumes, even the random things on the shelves are great, and all fit into place.

The show is filled with dry, sassy jokes, great twists, and wonderful character development brought to life by this amazing cast. And the show itself will make you think about the choices you’ve made in your life as well, which is exactly what Davis is going for.

“It [the show} allows us to see humanity for what we really are, looking for what we want, giving in to our emotions, and sometimes making shitty choices!”

“You should come see this show because I directed it” joked Davis, very proud of how her work has come together. “It’s going to be a good time. It does have a lot of complex themes in it but it’s also just fun to watch art develop right in front of your face, and it’s just fun to explore the worlds that these writers are exploring; See how real life coincides with fiction, and how fiction coincides with real life.”

If you have a chance this weekend, come see this show. It’s a great kickoff to the theatre season, and a great night all around. Tickets are $8 a pop, AC student get in free with their AC ID. See you at 7:30 on Thursday, Friday or Saturday, because believe me, you won’t want to miss this.

• Seminar is in Session

Campus Life

E-Cigarettes: The Public Health Battle of Generation Y

• Campus Life

Mr. AC 2016

• Seminar is in Session

Campus Life

Garbā 2016

• Seminar is in Session

Campus Life

Homecoming Carnival Takes a Dive Under the Sea

• Seminar is in Session

Campus Life

The Roo Games: A Fun Time for Organizations to Prove Who’s The Best

• Seminar is in Session

Campus Life

Stitch ‘Em Up!!!- Pre-Health Society Suture Clinic

• Seminar is in Session

Arts & Entertainment

Avengers: Age of Ultron Review (SPOILER FREE)

• Seminar is in Session

Campus Life

Sherman Hall 100th Anniversary

• Leisure

Where to Study? Your Guide to Everyone’s Go to Coffee Shops

• Campus Life

End of the Semester!

Seminar is in Session