The Roo Games: A Fun Time for Organizations to Prove Who’s The Best

Ashley Loy, Staff Writer

Which team at Austin College would come out on top and win the annual Roo Games? That was the question on every team’s mind as they set forth to claim their territory in Sid Rich Gymnasium on the evening of Thursday, October 13.  Teams of six people from different resident halls, sororities, fraternities, and various clubs participated in a variety of fun and silly games. The rules were simple: for each game the top placing team would receive three points, the second team would receive two points, the third team would receive one point. All other teams wouldn’t receive any points at all. Once all the games were over, the final scores would be calculated and the teams with the most points would win spirit points for their hall or organization.

img_2343

The first game was a relay race of Dizzy Bat in which an individual would run to the opposite end of the basketball court, place their forehead on the bat and spin around ten times before dizzily sprinting back towards their team before their teammate could go. This was repeated until all team members successfully returned to their line. Throughout this leg of the competition, there was a lot of laughter and people staggering back slowly to their line. This was said to be one of the more fun games of the evening. The next game was also of an athletic nature, but was definitely more difficult. Wheelbarrow races between the teams resulted in people’s arms slowly giving out under them as they attempted to head back and forth across the court. After this there was a series of team charades in which each individual had to cooperate with their team to build the shape that was told by the judges. Some examples of what they built are a star and the letters AC. The final game was another test of athletic ability in which the team selected who they felt would be the best at hula hooping. After several minutes, the judges had to make it more challenging for the five groups that remained. They had them walk forward two feet, walk around in a circle, and walk around their other teammates all while continuing to hula hoop.  

img_2387At the end of this game, Baker Hall came in first place with fifteen points, Alpha Phi Omega with thirteen points, and Omega
Zeta with eight points. In total, these teams won twenty-five, twenty, and nineteen spirit points respectively. This event was seemed to be fun and exciting for the student body. One sorority member said she enjoyed the group diversity and that Greek organizations weren’t the only ones that participated. Many other individuals felt that a wider range of games would have been more fun since it would have lasted longer. Some ideas included dodgeball, trivia, balloon popping, and three-legged races. Altogether, the participants felt that Students Today Alumni Tomorrow did an amazing job at hosting this event and the underclassmen hope this event will continue to improve throughout their time here at Austin College. Despite the dismay some groups may have felt after not placing, one thing is certain: when it came to having a great time, everyone won!