The Observer

Great Day of Service 2016: Gotta Serve ‘Em All! (Preview)

Ashley Loy, Staff Writer

Students from Austin College will be volunteering their time on Saturday November 5th lending a hand in various parts of the Texoma community. In previous years, places like the Child Advocacy Center, Fairview Elementary, Habitat for Humanity, and Whitesboro Public Library, have been helped by AC students. Not only do students go out and perform physical labor through building ramps, picking up litter, and raking leaves, but they are also encouraged to bring in cans of food to donate to the Texoma community.

“I think it’s important for all students to devote time for community service. It’s one way of giving back to the Sherman community and bridging the gap between the city and Austin College,” said Riya Koshy, a sophomore at AC. She participated in Great Day of Service last year and enjoyed it so much that she is volunteering her time again this year. She strongly encourages students to “come to GDS and experience what AC is all about!”

Professors and administrators advise that freshman, and upperclassmen who haven’t yet participated in GDS should do so at least once throughout their time here. A professor suggested that students should volunteer so that they can get to know the community, grow better interpersonal skills, build relationships with peers, professors, and the community, and develop a passion for helping others. There are many reasons to go sign up for Great Day of Service, but more than anything it is a wonderful opportunity to help the community and show people that AC is the place to be!