Roo Boo 2016

Zoe Garner, Author

Endless tables filled the space in the gym. Children and adults alike were dressed in costume, parading around the booths, playing games and collecting candy from the mountains in the center of each table. Bags were dragged across the ground by toddlers in superhero capes and fairy wings. A large bouncy house consumed an entire corner of the gym.

Organizations of all sorts had gathered at Sid Rich Gym at Austin College for Roo Boo, the big mock trick-or-treat event hosted each year led by Alpha Phi Omega. Each group was given a table where they can hand out yummy treats and have organized games to keep the children entertained. Greek groups, social groups, sports groups and academic groups set up their table décor, the centerpiece being the giant candy piles. They continued to be restocked throughout the night from the endless supply provided by Alpha Phi Omega.

The kids snaked around the room to the different tables, their parents following behind. They played math games, ring tosses, balloon races, bowling, and scavenger hunts that are available. Innocence clouded the children from seeing the true purpose behind the event.

In an effort to keep the childhood appeal, Austin College began hosting Roo Boo in 2000. Families around Sherman are invited to come visit the Austin College campus and celebrate Halloween with the Roos. Children dress up to trick-or-treat at different tables and enjoy a night that they would not get to spend otherwise.

Roo Boo 2016