Mega Texas Festival 2016

Jillian Vandergrift, Staff Writer

After the campus joined forces to help the community for Great Day of Service on November 5, students and staff gathered again that night on the College Green to celebrate Mega Texas Festival, which brought together everything the Texas State Fair is famous for, making it free and accessible for all students.

Attendees could scale a rock-climbing wall, do backflips on a euro-bungee, and ride like a cowboy on a mechanical bull. There was a long line for the caricature artist, who drew amusing and detailed portraits of those lucky to make it to the front of the line. T-shirts were also a big hit, with each distribution time drawing a crowd to the Campus Activities Board’s (CAB) table. The baby kangaroo was the centerpiece of the festival, attracting all attendees eager to pet and take a picture with her.

The biggest hit of the festival may, however, have been the food. Every plate was filled with macaroni and cheese, quesadillas, corn, beans, apple pie, massive turkey legs, and more.

“I think people enjoyed the food most of all,” CAB President Montse Munoz said. “But my favorite part of Mega Texas was the artist. Katie [Basden] sang beautifully and made the whole experience so much better.”

This year’s Mega Texas was one of the best yet, and it was definitely a memorable night for all students, staff, and faculty in attendance.

Mega Texas Festival 2016