Roos’ drop final 2 Home games

Marina T. Wise-Herring, Staff Writer

The Kangaroo football team dropped their last two home games of the 2016 season to the Trinity Tigers and Southwestern Pirates on October 22 and October 29, respectively.

Against Trinity, the Tigers started things off by scoring first (8:56 left in the first quarter) on a touchdown rush followed by the PAT. A 7-0 score gap didn’t seem too detrimental, especially that early in the game, but the ‘Roos suffered an unexpected injury roughly 15 seconds after the Trinity TD—quarterback/punter Cooper Woodyard was unable to play for the remainder of the match.  Kyle Bohannon was next in line to fill Woodyard’s shoes under center, and so Austin College resumed with their new signal-caller. For the remainder of the quarter, neither team was able to produce any points, and the score sat at 7-0 Tigers.

The ‘Roos started off strong in the second quarter, stopping the Trinity drive and taking over at their own one-yard line, only 30 seconds in. From there, AC began their penalty-filled drive. Although they were unable to reap a touchdown from their efforts, Cesar Ruiz was still able to secure three points from a field goal for his team (7:22). After that, the Tigers still had a touchdown and field goal in store to fill up the rest of the half and increase their lead to 17-3.

A series of unfortunate events plagued the ‘Roos in the third quarter. First, Trinity recovered their own onside kick and took over at midfield in the first play of the second half.  Next, the Tigers blocked two AC punts and returned them for touchdowns. Heading into the final quarter, Trinity held the 31-3 advantage.

Each team was able to score again before the final buzzer. The Tigers patted their lead with a passing touchdown (9:56) while Bohannon had two runs into the end zone to make the final score 38-17.

Despite the tough loss, the ‘Roos had to put this game behind them and not pay attention to numbers. For the Red Shirts, there’s no point to dwelling on the past.

“At this point we aren’t focused on our record,” senior offensive lineman Michael Rinehart said. “But just improving every day and becoming as good as we can be, both individually and as a team.”

A week later, AC faced Southwestern on Senior Day. This first half of gameplay was eerily similar to its predecessor. The Pirates jumped ahead 7-0 in the first quarter, and the ‘Roos were forced to make another quarterback swap. Bohannon was injured in the second quarter, prompting Kaese Kosko to adopt his role. Regardless of Bohannon’s untimely injury, AC was still able to hold Southwestern 7-0 for the rest of the half.

The Kangaroos made a couple more quarterback switches in the second half, and gave up one touchdown in the third quarter. They only lagged 14-0 heading into the fourth, but the Pirates then went on a complete scoring frenzy. After piling on 21 points in the foruth quater alone, Southwestern walked away with the 35-0 win.

In spite of another loss, the ‘Roos are still staying positive. They still see the bright side of the match and acknowledge the effort they have been putting in.

“Overall I believe we gave that game all we had although the scoreboard does not reflect it,” sophomore defensive back Jackson Townsend said.

Senior wide receiver Kyle Mucerino almost echoed Townsend’s views.

“I thought everyone stayed together and played for each other and never gave up,” Mucerino said. “We showed a lot of Red Shirt Pride.”

Roos’ drop final 2 Home games