The Observer

Men’s Basketball Season Preview

Marina Wise, Staff Writer

The 2016-2017 Austin College Men’s Basketball season is officially underway. With six games behind them already, the Kangaroos are learning and growing together to make this season better than any other. The ‘Roos could not be more excited to be back on the court.

“I’ve been waiting for a while to get back in it and couldn’t be more excited to go win a SCAC Championship with my teammates,” senior Jeremy Swisher said.

With eight seniors on the squad for 2016-2017, this year is expected to be a special one. The importance of this particular season is especially magnified for the seniors themselves.

“I couldn’t be more excited,” senior Austin Freet said. “This is my fourth year playing with some of these guys and that’s built great team chemistry on the court. I have a lot of confidence for us to become a successful team and do big things in conference.”

The senior class is expected to play a powerful role in the team’s quest to the Conference Tournament, but some younger players are also expected to make an impact. Freshman Austin Wells, for example, has already proved to be a  threat against opponents earlly in the season and is now starting for the ‘Roos.

“He (Wells) is a really good shooter,” Head Coach Rodney Wecker said. “He’s really stepped up and is providing us with some perimeter shooting.”

AC has the leadership, talent, and potential for a very successful campaign this year. Now, they just need to put the pieces together, to develop into a dominant basketball team. After six games the Kangaroos currently sit with a 2-4 record, claiming victories over Hendrix and UT Tyler and suffering losses to LeTourneau, Millsaps, Hendrix, and Jarvis Christian. Despite the win-to-loss ratio, the ‘Roos are confident in their abilities to win more gmes throughout the rest of the season.

“When we lose, it’s like watching a different team play,” senior Stephen Igbinosa said. “When we’re winning, it’s something that we’ve already been accustomed to. So I expect us to have our best games every game.”

Men’s Basketball Season Preview