The Observer

MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Lois Bronaugh, reporter

Thick burgers, salty fries, sweet shakes; classic diners have it all.

There’s one local restaurant in particular that fits this description perfectly, and it’s only a few miles down the street. Let’s welcome MG’s, a small but popular family owned restaurant in Sherman.

img_1003MG’s gets its name from the initials of its owners, Mike and Gina Adams, as well as from a classic British automobile that was founded in 1924. They started the restaurant in 1982 when Mike Adams bought it from the previous owner and filled it with paraphernalia from his classic car collection, giving the building its authentic retro look. Although unassuming from the outside, the interior of MG’s is adorned with pieces of America’s Route 66 past: bright neon signs, hanging license plates from across the country, blinking hood ornaments on the ceiling, and best of all– a true-blue juke box. 

Even better than its decorations is MG’s delicious food. They have a variety of burgers (all named after classic cars, of course) with the choice of fries and desserts. The restaurant is famous in the community for their pies, baked next door by Mom’s Bakery, also owned by the Adams. MG’s is so renown, in fact, that they were featured on the show “Texas Bucket List” and were awarded one of the top ten burgers in Texas.

MG’s is also very involved in the community. Chanel Stiggers, a manager img_1002who has worked for the restaurant for 25 years, said that “We support our schools… everyone in the community. Every time there’s something going on or someone’s ill, we usually tend to do fundraisers”. This is done by donating part of the profits to organizations such as Relay for Life and the Grayson County Child Welfare Support fund. When asked how AC students can help with this, Chanel responded that “Just by getting the word out, just getting people in the door (is helpful because) some of the profit goes to them.”

MG’s is open 10:30AM to 9PM and located on 1721 N Woods St, just off of Taylor St (the road that N. Grand Avenue turns into). 

So when it’s the weekend and you and your friends are craving fries and shakes with timeless oldies singing in the background, just hop in your 1966 Shelby Cobra (or 2007 Honda Civic; same thing) and cruise over to MG’s.

Believe me, it’s worth it.

• MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Campus Life

E-Cigarettes: The Public Health Battle of Generation Y

• Campus Life

Mr. AC 2016

• MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Campus Life

Garbā 2016

• MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Campus Life

Homecoming Carnival Takes a Dive Under the Sea

• MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Campus Life

The Roo Games: A Fun Time for Organizations to Prove Who’s The Best

• MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Campus Life

Stitch ‘Em Up!!!- Pre-Health Society Suture Clinic

• MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Arts & Entertainment

Avengers: Age of Ultron Review (SPOILER FREE)

• MG’s: A Delectable Detour

Campus Life

Sherman Hall 100th Anniversary

• Leisure

Where to Study? Your Guide to Everyone’s Go to Coffee Shops

• Campus Life

End of the Semester!

MG’s: A Delectable Detour