The Observer

American Made Review

Gary Casey, Entertainment Editor

If you’re looking for the next Mission Impossible, you’ve come to the wrong place.

If you’re looking for a Latin-American Wolf of Wall Street, look no further than Barry Seal of Baton Rouge, LA. Tom Cruise’s wild and adventurous character will make you laugh and cringe at the story of this TWA-pilot-gone-CIA-agent-gone-smuggler. Intense action scenes and fierce dialogue make for an exciting movie that makes up for in bullets what it lacks in content.

This catchy spinoff follows the popular narrative of what money does to those who are easily corrupted. Barry Seal, an early middle-aged TWA pilot found smuggling cigars from Cuba, is approached by the CIA to aid in the American support of the Nicaraguan Contras. While delivering his payload to the Contras, Seal is offered a job by Colombian drug lords to help smuggle cocaine into the US, which he accepts. By various means of production and ill-defined legality, Seal becomes the newest millionaire of central Arkansas and discovers all the costs and benefits of involvement with the Columbian drug cartel.

The biggest joke in American Made is nothing more than the depiction of US foreign intelligence. What’s worse, moving guns or moving drugs? It doesn’t do much good to deliver guns to soldiers that aren’t fighting. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.

If you’re not a fan of Tom Cruise, I understand, but give this movie a try. He’s more enjoyable when he’s playing someone close to his age, and in this movie, he starts to take charge in his role. Maybe he’s making up for his deplorable bayou accent.

Hasta luego, Tom.

American Made Review