The Observer

Music students perform in recital

Lindsey Pipkin, Campus Life Editor

Last week, the music department presented a student recital involving eight students playing either cello, viola, clarinet, flute, or singing with piano accompaniment.

Senior Allison Bordini played cello in the quartet performance along with professor of music, Dr. Ricky Duhaime and students Annaliese Kean and Charles Overton. According to Bordini, they had been rehearsing for the performance for a few weeks. She has been playign the cello for 14 years, and explained the challenges of playing in a quartet. “You have to know everyone’s parts [when playing in a quartet]. I prefer playing in small chamber groups over doing solos,” Bordini said.

Emily Record, a choir member, performed two songs at the recital that she had been practicing for the past two months. “I chose two songs I knew needed a little bit of work. Having to perform them gave me the motivation to work out some of the problems and it helped to give me confidence on those pieces for future performances,” Record said.

Performing in front of an audience can be nerve-racking, but Record stated that it usually is not a problem for her anymore. “Generally, though, I get a little bit anxious before [the performance], but as soon as I’m on stage, I feel right at home,” she said. “This recital, I was a little nervous because I was concerned about getting my words correct . German is hard to memorize!”

April will bring more musical performances including the choir’s spring concert and singing Carmen with the Sherman Symphony Orchestra at the end of the month, the orchestra’s performance on April 15, concert band’s performance on April 17and some senior recitals.

Music students perform in recital