The Observer

Filed under Campus Life

HEAT and THINK Jam Session: A Slam Dunk

On October 17th at 5 pm the organizations HEAT (Human Environment Animal Team) and THINK joined forces and hosted a poetry jam session outside on the green in front of Campus Police (considering the placement I was expecting some sort of massive protest, which made my reporter senses tingle, but the result was less political and much more fun). Attendees were tossed an apple and found a seat on the circle, here was the perfect amphitheater for the acts that followed. Here we gathered to watch various student perform their literary talents. I witnessed a girl who could quote the entire first page of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (which considering I can only quote the first sentence of The Hobbit is a pretty impressive feat in my book), listened to all sorts of poems, from the surprising lovelorn desires of someone’s roommate (who was sad he could not personally give the poem himself) to the diatribe on a “Bad Mood” to an inspiring piece on Arab Spring. The poetry was eclectic, impassioned and never boring.

Also pieced throughout were other acts such as juggling (with Apples), a magic show (which was eerie), the amusingly off track muses of a girl’s Art notes, the sweet life philosophies read straight from a personal journal. There was improv poetry, where a girl was given words and made them into a poem on the spot (the word that stumped her was “f(nope)ilible”, a character from the literary mind of John Milton). Some jokes were said and the entire thing ended with some wise words from Heat co-founder Omar’s analysis of the poet of our generation: Taylor Swift, and her current hit On Being 22. His response poem was warm, insightful and funny. The show ended with a guitar and trumpet jam session. It was a wonderful way to enjoy the fall evening to celebrate creativity of all forms, with lots of laughs and good people. I left the event with one thought in my mind: When is the next one?

HEAT and THINK Jam Session: A Slam Dunk