The Observer

Filed under Campus Life

AC Staff Talent Show: Surprising!

I entered the pub, swarming with faces familiar and unknown, ordered myself a Guinness, located one of the few remaining chairs and sat myself down. Amongst the laughter and chatter, there was a sense of quiet anticipation. The unspoken question lingered in the minds of everyone present: Who was actually the talent of the staff talent show? And which of our beloved staff members would we never be able to look in the eye ever again after this night?

The suspense built as professor of Classics (that’s Greek and Latin, yo. Not “literature”.) Molly Jones-Lewis and History Professor Hunt Tooley bravely took the stage, medieval instruments in hand. Together they played two dittys and we “partied like it was 1669”. As the cheery music flowed my mind flash-backed to the millions of tavern doors I had bashed down in every RPG I had ever played in order to search of loot and quests. Needless to say as a nerd, this music made me happy. The competition got real as Michael Davila and Grant Batchelder took the stage, covering John Legend’s romantic ballad “All of Me”. This was a side to Michael I did not know. Jenni Kraft followed with an Interpretive Dance to a slam poetry reading to popular songs by the Beats of our generation, Katy Perry and One Direction. Lisa Brown expounded her frustrations in music with her original piece, “The Student Bullshit Blues” back up vocals provided by Renee Countryman and Andy Pigott. By this point the crowd was comfortable.

It was strangely uncomfortable just how talented all the competitors were. The only solution is that these people were the best of the best, having been selected in a tryouts process more grueling than America’s Next Top Model and American Idol combined. Peter Marks’ hilarious and informative rap on “How to Be Popular” (in terms of group think and Darwinism, which could only have been written by a Professor of Psychology) stole the show. It made me wonder (and secretly hope) he delivered all his lectures over text book length concepts in 2 minute rap form. Kate Boesson, tackled Etta James’ classic, “At Last”, via of karaoke, while her husband, Brett rocked out on his ukulele with his crowed pleasing band, Bad Hat. The Boesson children were very cute, cheering on their talented parents, and the whole show ended with an encore performance from “Bad Hat”.

The only aspect of the show I disliked was when members of CAB made the audience vote over their ‘favorite’ act through applause. Being a utilitarian, I tried to control my clapping to an even rate,  because I honestly thought all the acts were superb. There were no embarrassments that evening, and I left the show feeling nostalgic for a school I have only a semester and a bit left in. Looking around the pub, I realized that one of the key aspects to my Austin College experience has been the staff here. They have been so encouraging, so accommodating, nurturing and challenging, and apparently some of them can sing, dance, and play musical instruments! I’m going to miss this school and its weird, wonderful Hogwartsian gang. Oh, also Peter Marks won the talent show. But that’s to be expected, when one is simultaneously studied Popularity, group-think, and a gangsta.

AC Staff Talent Show: Surprising!