The Observer

Homecoming Carnival Takes a Dive Under the Sea

Jillian R. Vandergrift, Staff Writer

The Austin College community dove underwater on Friday, October 14th, 2016 on the College Green to enjoy the annual Homecoming Carnival. With the smell of popcorn in the air, free T-shirts being given out and a huge inflatable slide shaped like a pirate ship, which fit the theme of “Under the Sea”, the night turned out perfect. The carnival is hosted by the Campus Activities Board (CAB), currently headed by President Montse Munoz.

“This homecoming carnival was the best turnout we’ve had in years!” President Munoz said. “I loved that there was so much to do and that people seemed excited about the event, so it made the environment so much better.”

golf-1

While CAB took care of most of the preparation and organization for the Homecoming Carnival, other organizations volunteered at the many available stations and activities. There was cotton candy, popcorn and snow-cones to be enjoyed while waiting in line for a free Under the Sea-themed shirt, which were distributed quickly and adored by students. The carnival also featured an inflatable slide and a giant Hungry Hungry Hippos arena, in which willing participants could become the hippos and try to grab “food” from the center of the ring.

“My favorite part was the hungry hippos because it was such an interactive game, and people looked really funny trying it out,” Montse said.

The carnival was planned by the Spirit and Traditions committee of CAB, which also planned and ran the other activities on campus during homecoming week, such as Bingo Night, Karaoke Night, and the spirit days. Shirley Banh, Chair of the Spirit and Traditions committee, was thrilled about the success of the carnival.

“The carnival this year was a lot more successful than the past few years,” Shirley said. “Not only did attendance greatly improve, but students, alumni, faculty, and families really enjoyed the carnival overall.”

golf-4

Immediately after the carnival, the homecoming pep rally took place on the stage of the College Green. Representatives of AC’s sports teams spoke about their current and upcoming seasons, the homecoming court nominees were introduced, and both the Aussies dance team and the AC cheerleaders got to show their school spirit.

“We always have the pep rally at the end, and there’s never been so many people that stayed to watch,” Montse said.

The carnival and pep rally were just what everyone needed to get excited for Saturday’s homecoming game. The positive feedback regarding the carnival was exciting for CAB and the Spirit and Traditions committee in particular.

golf-5“I am really proud that the work and time invested into the carnival, especially from the other CAB officers and my committee, was well worth it,” Shirley said. “My favorite part was hearing how much people had fun and enjoyed it!”

Students past and present alike loved this chance to gather together and celebrate their school with delicious food, fun activities, and high spirits, making the night memorable for all.

• Homecoming Carnival Takes a Dive Under the Sea

Campus Life

E-Cigarettes: The Public Health Battle of Generation Y

• Campus Life

Mr. AC 2016

Campus Life

Garbā 2016

Campus Life

The Roo Games: A Fun Time for Organizations to Prove Who’s The Best

Campus Life

Stitch ‘Em Up!!!- Pre-Health Society Suture Clinic

Arts & Entertainment

Avengers: Age of Ultron Review (SPOILER FREE)

Campus Life

Sherman Hall 100th Anniversary

• Leisure

Where to Study? Your Guide to Everyone’s Go to Coffee Shops

• Campus Life

End of the Semester!

• Arts & Entertainment

All About Bad Hat