The Observer

Mr. AC 2016

Zoe Garner, Staff Writer

The floor of the backstage of Mabee Hall was littered tangled wigs, scattered clothes, and bras of all sizes. The air in the room was clouded with make-up dust from men getting their faces touched up. Some of them were half-naked with a bra wrapped around their chests while some wore colorful wigs that were brushed to perfection. They stumbled in their heels as they lined up to proceed onto the stage, where they would be judged by their appearance and performance. The question burning in everyone’s mind: who was the fairest of them all?

Mr. AC is an annual event hosted by a sorority on campus, Theta Sigma Chi. All the proceeds are donated to Women Rock, a local organization, dedicated to increasing awareness about breast cancer and the importance of early detection, as well as providing funding assistance and support for women in need to obtain mammograms. The judges of the evening were a mix of AC students and faculty as well as two representatives from Women Rock.

Representatives from Lambda Chi, Zeta Chi Beta, Chi Tau Chi, Alpha Psi Omega, Iota Eta, Delta Omicron, and Baker Hall volunteered to participate in the event. After a brief introduction, they rushed back stage to prepare for the show. The first round of the competition was sports wear, in which participants showed off the attire suitable for their preferred physical activity, including dance, yoga, and tennis. Following that was the talent portion of the competition. Contestants could tell stories, perform tricks, or sing and dance. In the next round, the contestants dressed in glamorous formal wear and each presented a pick-up line to the judges. Some of the more memorable ones being “Are you French? ‘Cause ma-damn” and “I don’t need a pick-up line. These legs speak for themselves”. The final round, the men were draped in sheets, toga style, and asked a question by the judges.

Subtle hints such as the bra-lined stage and pink ribbons indicated the real purpose of fundraiser. All silliness from the event was put aside during the tallying of the votes. One of the judges, a representative from Women Rock Inc., brought up the importance of self-checking and awareness of breast cancer from a young age.

“It’s not just older women who can be diagnosed,” the representative from Women Rock Inc. said. “Young women and even men can develop the cancer. My daughter was diagnosed at twenty-seven with breast cancer. Young women especially need to understand the importance of self-checking because you don’t get mammograms done until you are at an older age and by then it may be too late.”

The room was silent in respect. She asked the contestants if they had any personal family experience with the cancer and if they knew how to properly give a self-examination. With fake-padded breasts, two contestants on the stage demonstrated, with the help of the judge. Once the votes were tallied, Mr. Iota Eta was crowned as Mr. AC and asked to say a few words in regards to the event.

“Thank you so much for allowing me to participate. I also was a contestant my freshman year and I did not win and this year I was determined. But in all serious, breast cancer is a serious issue that is so important to raise awareness about to people. My aunt had breast cancer. We caught it early enough that she was able to beat it. We’ve won for now.”- said the contestant representing Iota Eta participant.

Mr. AC 2016