The Observer

Student Greek Life Involvement

The Greek Life experiences of two Austin College students

Jessica Hayden, Staff Writer

Ivy Torres (sophomore) from Fort Worth, Texas member of Kappa Gamma Chi

At first, Ivy was not looking to be involved in any social Greek groups. But when she really thought about it, she wanted to get out of her comfort zone in a different environment. The reason Ivy Torres joined the Kappa Gamma Chi sorority is because all her friends were trying to join a sorority. Nonetheless, her friends did not stick with the process. That did not stop Ivy though, because when you are involved in a sorority you will have to be involved doing more activities around campus. I asked Ivy what she likes most about her sorority Kappa Gamma Chi and she said they have a variety of races in the organization so, there is not just one type of race pattern. The Kappa Gamma Chi sisters always value everyone’s opinion and are willing to help you with any problem you may be going through.

Fortunately, the Austin College institution has a strict policy against hazing. Therefore, no one will feel scared about what people may think when you talk about Greek initiation night. How it goes for the Kappas is you have a bid night where you have to wait somewhere, like your room, from 6pm to 8pm. Then your invite will come to wherever you wrote down you would stay at when the sorority member asked you. After receiving the invitation, you are in the door to be in the sorority and you will sing songs around the school holding hands with your sorority class members you got sworn in with. New Greek sisters will get to know their big sisters on a personal level and create memories for a life time.

How long is the process for the Greek life? Basically, the journey to Greek life starts during Round Robins and continues until before February 13. The only way you may not be invited into the sorority is if you do not have a good image, do not carry yourself with class, and if you do not care about your grades. You must not have a negative personality or cause trouble around campus because that will definitely get you overlooked. She said she joined because the others did not feel like she would fit in with any other sororities plus the Kappa motto is “Let The Good Times Roll”.

Ivy Torres is also involved in other clubs outside her sorority. For instance, ASA, which stands for Asian Student Association. This club educates people who are interested in learning Japanese culture.

Sometimes it can be overwhelming to juggle school, Greek life, and work, however, it pays off when you graduate. In addition, you will always have friends you can go to for support or encouragement. Finally, Greek life gives you the opportunity to volunteer in the community if you always wanted to but never found the time to.

Danny Crowe, (Junior) Rush Chair, member of Chi Delta Eta

Danny Crowe said when he was a freshman he was not looking to join any social Greek groups. But when he decided to interact with the fraternity and get to know what Chi Delta Eta was all about, they turned out to be an amazing group of brotherly love. This fraternity is all about serving the community and building endless bonds. Nonetheless, it is smaller group of individuals because the group wants to uphold the fraternity name and have the best representation of it.

The fraternities and sororities have sweethearts who play a role in the organizations,  for instance, little brothers

Danny Crowe ( Chic Delta ETA)

Danny Crowe (Chi Delta Eta)

or little sisters. The sorority or fraternity could be watching your behavior around campus to see if you would be a good fit for the Greek group. Then, the fraternity or sorority would go to the person’s place and ask them if they want to be a sweet heart and if the person agrees to being a little then the Greek group would celebrate.

The bond between Danny and his big brother was and still is strong as if nothing changed since his big graduated from Austin College two years ago. His big has been like a brother to him from the moment they met and they communicate on a regular basis and hang out all the time. He is one of the few people Danny actually trusted as a brother to him before he joined the fraternity. Danny was the only boy in his family with multiple of sisters.

Kappa Big Melissa DeLeon and Little Ivy Torres

I asked Danny why his big brother from Chi Delta Eta picked him to be his little.  He said he was picked by his big because his big felt a bond prior to getting to know him and knew he would be an outstanding addition to the fraternity. In addition, he wanted Danny to become an extension of his lineage and entrust him to keep up the duties of what the fraternity stands for. I think Danny Crowe is keeping his role in the fraternity that was passed down to him because if you watch how he carries himself you would see the dedication he has for his fraternity and education.

Ultimately, Ivy Torres and Danny Crowe are outstanding individuals who take their mission statements seriously and apply it in their everyday lives.

Student Greek Life Involvement