The Observer

A Letter of Introduction: To an Editor and Op-Ed Writing

Logan Beauchamp, Opinion Editor

Today I have the singular pleasure of introducing myself to the readership, so without further ado. My name is Logan Beauchamp (pronounced Bo-camp) and I am your new Op-Ed Editor. I am twenty-six years old and, if you believe in that sort of thing, my star sign is Aries. I am also a middle child, a transfer student from Grayson College, a Freemason, and many other things that have accumulated over a life lived falling upwards. I am an Anthropology Major with a minor in International Relations (thinking about double majoring) and this is my first semester at Austin College. Many of you have the privilege of spending your entire academic career at this fine institution, whereas I myself spent a large portion of my own working my way to be where you are by grace of outstanding fortune, both in luck, wealth, or both; intelligence, hard work, and ambition. I am proud to be among you all and hope to prove myself as a valuable addition to the ever-expanding pool of talent that Austin College draws to its campus from around the world.

So, what is Op-Ed and why am I the editor? The Op-Ed section gets its name from being opposite in stance of the editorial writing, meaning that the lead editor submits a point, be it about politics, economics, society, etc., and the Op-Ed editor writes in counterpoint, or finds a contributor to submit otherwise. Basically, it is my job to make sure the work isn’t biased. These days Op-Ed has taken on the mantle of opinion based prose, which is generally submitted by someone unaffiliated with the publisher. These works can be from anyone who has a desire to submit and can be about anything under the sun, making Op-Ed something of a variety section and an ad hoc forum for grievances, stories, proclamations and everything that lies there between on the vast spectrum of topics and styles available to draw from. This means that if you ever feel the need to write strongly opinionated material about the things you think everyone should care about, then I am the person to get in touch with because I will make your desires a reality, and get you paid while doing it.

My ultimate goal is to find stories that get people talking again. I want to give you, the reader, a return on the time you spend reading our pages. I cannot reiterate enough the value I place on your time, especially as someone living in this modern and maddening world. I hope to have relatable stories that you can take something away from. I also hope to inspire shock, awe, or even compassion. Henceforth the Op-Ed section will exist to provide a greater opportunity to explore issues and present insights by thinkers and writers and also reinforce the belief that in a democracy it is imperative that diverse voices be given the greatest opportunity to be heard. I look forward to the work ahead of us and I aim to live up to our school’s motto “Nil nisi per aspera” or “nothing but the fierce.”

Signed,

Logan Beauchamp, the Op-Ed Editor