The Observer

All About Bad Hat

The live music group Bad Hat has been playing for about six years now at local festivals in the area and sometimes on campus. They’ve played live as far as the Vernon, Texas Folk Festival and Ghost Tour. The name of the band stems from an English colloquial term meaning “a bad sort” or “a no-goodnik”.

bad hat

Bad Hat consists of Department of History chair Hunt Tooley, Media studies professor Brett Boessen, Political science professors Nate Bigelow and Phil Barker as well as other part time members such as admissions counselor Amanda Kissele, local businessman Alan Duigan and alumni Erin Slade Krummenacher and Andrew Krummenacher. Hunt is the founder of the band who usually plays Ukulele, and Trombone, while Brett and Nate play guitar and Phil the viola. Bad Hat’s music consists mostly of reinterpretations ranging in the styles of folk to singer-songwriter to even some jazz. There are also some original works written by Hunt Tooley. The band doesn’t have any official recordings but there are some recordings of theirs on Soundcloud and Youtube as well as some songs that have been recorded with a local audio engineer. Make sure to check out the band’s Soundcloud and go to their gig on Tuesday of finals week in the pub.

Bad Hat’s soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/bad-hat

All About Bad Hat