The Observer

How the Lady ‘Roos got their groove back (and their 9th win)

Alex Ray, Sports Editor

Mired in a three game losing streak, Austin College women’s basketball welcomed Colorado college into their ‘Roo den. This game was all about the ball and player movement. The San Antonio Spurs got a lot of attention this past year for how much they moved the ball and how beautiful their passing was. But the Spurs also had dominant one on one players that were a difference simply because they had an overpowering skill the other team couldn’t defend; be it Manu Ginobili’s twisting drives, Tony Parker’s speed or Tim Duncan’s awkwardly effective post moves. I am no expert on basketball, but this seems to be how games are won at least offensively. You try to share the ball as much as possible and run clever plays, but it often comes down to who is better.

The game this Friday followed a similar script as the ‘Roos had moments of fluid brilliance and other moments of halting stagnation. The team had a strange trend as they were able to easily score coming out of timeouts or stoppages when their coach was able to design a strategy. The team would carry that momentum out of timeouts and move the ball well, which made for a beautiful basketball symphony. But the longer play went without a break, it seemed the team would break down and stagnate a little. The first half was carried mostly by #1Kali Vittallo, a freshman making a mark this season, who hit several threes to push the margin for AC. Chrissy Ray was also highly effective when entering the game stringing together several baskets on turnaround shots. While the game was still in some doubt at the half, the ‘Roos scored four quick baskets to start. What was a quick scoring spurt at the beginning of the half would end up becoming a blowout by the end of the game.

When Freshman #2 Meghan Lewis entered with a little over five minutes left, it signaled a wave of new substitutes coming in. Almost all of the bench players got to go in which is always a good thing. The first thing you notice about the women’s game is the lack of dunking and above the rim play. For those used to the NBA where there is always the threat of a dunk and dunks are such a big part of the game, the women’s game can be a bit boring. What this causes is more of an emphasis on how the game itself is played. I paid much more attention to the interesting things Austin College’s coaches did throughout this contest. Kentucky has begun to use a platoon system this year where entire five player rotations are swapped out in order to get decent playing time for all the talent on their roster (as it seems half of the NBA draft is on Kentucky’s team). Austin College will not have any NBA draft picks on their roster (especially the women’s team for obvious reasons), but they used the platoon system in an interesting display essentially going ten deep into their rotation of players.This kept the players noticeably fresher and allowed them to continue the attack when they hit the floor. It also was more interesting to the fans because we got to see more players and what they could do. It was interesting to see all of them get to play in an honest-to-God game. Another interesting element of the game was the fact that every time AC’s coach drew up a play it seemed to work. Towards the end of the game you could almost see the coach going, “See this game is easy, if they’d only listen to me we would score every time!”

A final note to this game is of course that everyone, even those far down on the bench, get to play. It is easy to underestimate just how important this is to the players. When you go to the football games you see hundreds of players on the sideline and wonder why most of them are even there. Particularly because only a small handful ever get to play and they never leave the field. For these individual players, it is important to remember that the game is really all that matters to them. They spend hours and hours of time working for a few seconds or minutes in front of a crowd and doing the only thing that matters to the team. It is important to remember this when a coach leaves their starters in to run up the score or a ultra-conservative coach doesn’t pull his players until the absolute final seconds because they are afraid the game will slip away. The important thing is that AC got the win and ended a difficult losing streak. Everyone on the team should be happy because of that. But more importantly, everyone got to play, which is why they are here in the first place.