The Observer

Alumni Basketball Game

Shannon Smith, Sports Writer

A person would not normally describe a basketball game as humorous, but nothing about the alumni basketball game was normal.

The alumni basketball game gives former Austin College basketball players, both men and women, a chance to dust off their basketball skills and play a friendly coed game. The alumni are pitted against each other for an hour in a casual, fun, and friendly game. Some of the alumni even took the chance and brought their family to the game.

“Casual, fun and friendly” is not to be confused with a lack of competitive spirit, however. The alumni really get into the game, and as the game goes on, you could begin to see the talent that they had back in their college days. It did take them a little while to settle into a good rhythm, and the announcer, David Norman, was quick to point this out. During a dry spell where neither team had scored in a while, he placated the crowd by telling everybody to take a deep breath. “We haven’t scored in 6 minutes.”

This funny, and even sarcastic, commentary continued as David attempted to get the players going. Announcements like; “You guys look at the scoreboard. Have some pride!” proved to be effective and the former Roos kicked it into high gear and put on a good game, complete with entertaining announcements. Thought it did start off slow, it ended with a high scoring, and very close game. The home team won with 128 points and the visitors barely lost with 126 points.

With the unconventional announcements and general disregard for some of the rules, each team came out and, judging by the laughter and smiles throughout the entire game, had a great time. It gave former basketball players a chance to play on their old home court one more time, and meet up with the current players. Even though this basketball game was in no way traditional, I am already looking forward to going to next years alumni game.

Alumni Basketball Game