The Observer

Austin College Takes a Loss to Southwestern University

Shannon Smith, Arts and Entertainment and Sports Editor

Family Weekend at Austin College (AC) drew a large crowd to this weekend’s football game, and that alone would be enough to make our ‘Roos nervous. AC played their opponent Southwestern University for the first time this season, a relatively new team to the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference (SCAC), and whispers on campus say Southwestern considers AC to be their number one rival. Loren Dawson, head football coach at AC, said he did not view Southwestern to be a huge rival this season.

“[We] truly approach the season with a one week at a time mentality. Whoever we’re playing that week is our sole focus. No one game [is] more important [or] less important than others.”

Austin College, which is second place in the SCAC, set up to go against fourth-place Southwestern University at Austin College on Saturday, October 3rd. Southwestern is only entering their third season of football in the past 60 years, which can make it difficult for more experienced teams to play against them. Many teams fall into the temptation of playing down to the level of the inexperienced team, which is sloppy and uncoordinated. The ‘Roos fell into this temptation, coming out weak after kicking off and being down by 7 points after only the first possession.

The ‘Roos managed to tie it back up, putting themselves on the board. Pulling ahead after Southwestern threw an interception at their own 37 yard line, AC ended the first quarter with a lead of 14 to 7. Both teams had multiple fumbles and interceptions, and the tension was high in the stands as no clear winner had emerged yet.

“This isn’t Women’s Volleyball!” one Southwestern fan loudly yelled during one of the many officiating deliberations.

Early on in the fourth quarter, Southwestern had a solid lead. With only one call made in the ‘Roos’s favor and with Southwestern on the edge of winning their first game of the season, there was plenty of energy in the stands throughout the entire fourth quarter. Dawson said that he did not have an opinion on the officiating during the game.

“I have no control over the officiating, you have to focus on the things you do control,” Dawson said.

It was at this point that AC was not just playing against the other team, they were defending their nearly perfect season record and number two position in the SCAC. Their attitude continued to remain positive as they continued the game, managing to get more points on the board with only 3:39 left on the clock.

“Our men always play until the end, no matter if we’re up or down,” Dawson said about the attitude of the team.

The ‘Roos were not able to get a win this week with a loss of 28 to 35, but AC football is still winning the season overall. After the results of this game, Dawson said he wanted to work on all areas of practice during the week they have with no game scheduled.

“With this being a Bye week for us we will be able to spend more time on basic technique and schemes since we do not have to prepare for an opponent,” Dawson said. “[It is] also [an] opportunity to get some injured players healthy.”

The next home game is Saturday, November 14 against the currently undefeated Trinity University at 1pm